How to Make a Peppa Pig Cake July 23, 2011Posted by graciek in Evie, Life in General, Recipes.
Yes it’s that time of year again. We’re coming up to Evie’s birthday tomorrow. This year she has asked for a Peppa Pig birthday cake. After looking online at google images I finally have an idea for what to do.
1. Bake the cakes. I baked 1×6″ and 1×8″ carrot cake as I was originally going to make a 2 tier cake. Then I decided to make more of a traditional flat/outline cake and had to bake another rectangular one (this time chocolate for a bit of variety). I baked the cakes the day before. Then I drew a grid on the picture that I liked so that I could scale up a template (see below).
2. Prepare your cake board and position the pieces of paper for the template. Lay out all the bits of paper so you know it will fit and where each bit is going. Don’t forget to label the pieces of paper so you know which bit is which!!
3. Create the background fondant. I left the largest pieces of the template in place and used fondant icing (tinted using food colouring) to do the background before removing the paper. It was really fiddly today as it’s been raining for a whole week and the atmosphere is so humid that the icing was too sticky to roll out with a rolling pin (and kept cracking when I used more icing sugar or cornflour), so I did it old style with little lumps and just squashing it with my fingers.
4. Cut out the cake using the paper templates as a guide. I found, expediciously, that having the 2 circular bits of cake were indeed useful as I used the small cake intact for the face, and then cut a small section off the larger round cake to make the forehead/nose section and other offcuts for ears.
5. Buttercream the cake to stick the bits together and prepare a nice smooth surface to go under the fondant icing. I was going to ganache (as recommended in the Planet Cake book that I got for Xmas) but some of my guests don’t eat cream/milk (I even made the cake batter with soy) so I used butter (as that’s apparently OK for them, even though it’s a milk product too really!!). I just made a really simple lemon buttercream. Make sure that you get the seams nice and even for the head so there’s no drops in height./overlaps between the different pieces of cake.
6. Tint your fondant icing, roll out to around 2mm thick and lay over the cake. Because some bits are an unconventional shape you need to let it sit slowly and slowly ease the fondant round the edges, letting the weight of the fondant help it stretch. The bit where Peppa’s mouth is is particularly hard as you need to support the weight, but at the same time don’t let it all sag into the crevice as you’ll end up with a really thick bit of icing there. I found it easiest to ease the fondant down into the corner of the mouth/nose first and use a paintbrush handle to just push it gently into the corner. I don’t have a fancy smoother/scraper utensil, so just use my hands to rub and “polish” the fondant till its smooth.
7. Time to start adding the fondant details. I made the discs for the face, the arms and tail all from the fondant icing. Stuck them on with a little water. Then using a damp brush got rid of all the loose icing sugar on the fondant. This then gives you a lovely smooth, even finish. I hijacked Evie’s playdough alphabet cutters to do the text😉
8. Prepare some Royal Icing that you can pipe to do the outlining details. I simply mix icing sugar and beaten egg white to make my piping mix, then add food colouring. Although the outline is thick, I would recommend piping two thinner lines for the outline that will then bleed together, than attempt to pipe one big thick line. I like my piped icing to have a little give so it was a bit sloppy, I found that when I did the outline of the body that as I was piping on the edges, sometimes the weight of the piped line caused it to start sliding down the side of the cake!! It was messy and I almost ruined the cake. Luckily I was able to manouevre the piped line back on top and remove some of the weight of the icing. For the face, I used 2 thinner piped lines next to each other which then bled together and gave a much cleaner effect.